A good old fashioned, Sunday afternoon syrup sponge. My mum used to buy those tinned sponges as a treat and I loved them. I set about to make my own and it was lush.
220g Stork or softened unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
220g caster sugar
220g plain flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
300g golden syrup
Large, greased square or rectangular oven dish or cake tin
Large Mixing Bowl
Wooden spoons for each baker
1. Pour the golden syrup into the bottom of the greased dish.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar. You can do this in advance if little ones find it tricky.
3. Add the eggs and vanilla essence and mix.
4. Add the flour & baking powder. Mix until you have a nice, smooth batter.
5. Pour the mixture into the dish on top of the syrup and bake in the oven at 180° for 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
Serve using a fish slice in large square chunks. When you flip the piece over you will have a delicious syrupy topping. Yum.