It's always a pleasure to be asked to host someone's Instagram account, but when someone like @fiveminutemum asks you, it's also a real honour. Today I hosted a letter of the day take over and made my cheats picnic pastry. This three ingredient pastry is super simple and makes a spongy, pillowy kind of pastry that little ones love.
Ingredients for the pastry
200g Wootton Organic Yoghurt
380g self raising flour
200g Stork or very soft unsalted butter
Ingredients for the filling
Tiny cubes of your favourite cheese - we used Little Ryding from www.woottonorganicdairy.com
Handful of finely chopped red pepper
Handful of finely chopped courgette
Honey to drizzle
Large circular scone cutter
1. Beat together the butter and yoghurt. Let little ones enjoy the texture and allow them to stir as long as they like. You can give it on big combining stir when they show signs of getting bored.
2. Add the self raising flour to the bowl. As you stir this a dough will start to form. At this point it's easier for Smalls to get their hands in. Squish and squash the mixture until a dough forms. If the dough is too wet to form a soft ball of dough, sprinkle in extra flour until you have a dough that will roll easily.
3. Roll the pastry as thinly as you can and use an extra large, circular, fluted cutter to cut rounds of pastry. If your little one likes using the cutter and dough in a messy way, let them play for a bit. Split the dough in two and do some cutting out yourself. It's likely that after a while they will want to copy and do it properly. Pace the rounds of pastry on the baking tray. No need to grease or line this.
4. Drizzle a little honey from the end of a spoon onto each round of pastry. Alternatively, let little ones paint it on with a small, clean or new paintbrush.
5. Fill half of each round with a sprinkling of your fillings, fold the pastries over to make mini pasty shapes and seal by pushing the pastry down with your finger.
6. Bake at 180° for 20 minutes. Cool a little and enjoy there and then or pack them up for your picnic.